Custom Search

Welcome to Dodge Caravan Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Dodge Caravan Forum, like most online communities you must register to create a topic or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Dodge Caravan Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Brake Caliper Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FLJohnson

FLJohnson

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationApex, NC
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Grand Caravan SXT

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

I went to change the brake fluid on my 2009 Grand Caravan SXT (35,000 miles) when I discovered that the inner pad on my left rear wheel is almost worn completely to the base, whereas the outer pad has lots of pad left. This indicates a problem with the caliper, and I intend to look at it more closely this week to determine if it is a problem with the piston or perhaps the guide pins.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis or solutions, but I was wondering if others had seen such a problem with so few miles on their Grand Caravan?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 Ajackson

Ajackson

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationN/a
  • Current Vehicle:15 Caravan

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

I've not yet looked at my brakes. I need to do a full once over though. Warranty is done on my 15, I've got 61,xxx on it.

#3 michaelGen5

michaelGen5

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationMidland
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Dodge Grand Caravan CVP Bright White

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:08 AM

FLJohnson:

For what it's worth, I submit the following, although from experience your symptoms are text book sticking caliper, (not necessarily a frozen piston). The brake flex line should not be ruled out either, they can delaminate internally and act like a one way valve. ie allow pressure flow to brake but restrict the reverse flow leaving caliper pressurized.

As your inner pad is so much more worn than the outer though, I think something is preventing the caliper from floating freely. I would completely disassemble and clean the rust and dirt off of all the caliper parts and also check caliper pins and bushings. Something is preventing the caliper from moving from side to side.

I can't imagine you having corrosion problems in your environment, I see you are 175 miles from the ocean so I doubt that you have to be concerned about Salt corrosion.

We are in an area where lots of road salt is used 6 months of the year.

Had something similar on 2015 (H.D. brakes), on rear drivers side only. Pads totally rusted solid into caliper, had to remove caliper to hammer pads out. BOTH inner and outer pads worn down to their backing plates.

Found lots of rust under stainless pad clips which just tightened everything up. Ears on pads also rusted in place. Opened bleed nipple and caliper piston retracted (pushed in) fine with rotating tool and almost no force, would have expected to find frozen piston, but not the case.

I cleaned everything up, had to grind rust out of pad carrier, lubricated and reassembled with new hardware and pads. Fortunately there was no sign of rotor warpage.

Disc was a bit rusty from lack of proper pad contact but still flat and smooth across the swept area, so I reused it. I think this is just going to be an on going maintenance problem, will schedule disassembly, clean up and inspection, lubrication etc. every two years from now on.

This seems like excessive maintenance, but I think it is a fact of life with the GEN5 vans. These brakes not too difficult to work on, but in winter - not so much fun.

Total kms 30 000, (under 20,000 miles).

Guide pins like new and still had plenty of original factory lubricant. E Brake still functioning like new, but I use it regularly to keep it free. 

I also replaced right rear pads, were about 1/2 worn, but supposed to be replaced in sets. That side just needed some normal cleaning up and re-lubrication.

Kudos on routinely replacing brake fluid, I do the same, I think that overall it helps and is widely considered good practise. Whenever I replace pads, I release the bleeder screw for cylinder push back, then do a good system bleed. 

Found a lot of air in right rear cylinder circuit when I bled it, Seems strange, because there was no air in either front L &  R or left rear when I flushed fluid there, but this vehicle has always had a soft brake pedal and this is probably why.

Found resistance in left Caliper Piston pushback when bleed nipple got accidentally closed. Sounds like a deteriorated flex line acting like a one way valve. 

Final Verdict: 1. LR Brake Pad Wear Excessive:

Caliper piston sticking in place due to restriction in brake flex hose, preventing brake pad release from rotor and lack of movement of pads allowing them to rust in place.

2. Soft Brake Pedal: Air in line to RR Brake.

Edited 2018 04 04&07 Discovered partially blocked brake hose, and replaced.Clarification

Edited by michaelGen5, 11 April 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#4 michaelGen5

michaelGen5

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationMidland
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Dodge Grand Caravan CVP Bright White

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

To: FLJohnson, Ajackson

Re: Grand Caravan Brakes:

I just found a disclaimer in the 2015 G/C Owners manual, under Maintenance regarding brakes. Presumably this let's Chrysler (FCA) off the hook forever regarding their poorly engineered brakes.

It states on Page 135 under Required Maintenance Intervals (as indicated by oil change indicator) among a laundry list of checks and inspections:

Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, hoses and parking brake. Who among us really takes all 4 wheels off and does this kind of inspection every 10,000 miles which is the normal oil change indicator duration?

This is not to say I would ever leave my oil and filter that long, I'm old school and favour 5 000 KM (3,000 miles) changes with Synthetic Oil.

Edited by michaelGen5, 13 April 2018 - 07:54 PM.

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·