Custom Search

Welcome to Dodge Caravan Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Dodge Caravan Forum, like most online communities you must register to create a topic or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Dodge Caravan Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tire Size Discrepancy - 2011 Crew

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kaelsma

Kaelsma

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Grand Caravan Crew

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

I have a 2011 Grand Caravan Crew. The sticker on the door says the tire size should be 235 R16 60 but my tire shop (and everything else I've seen online) says the tire size should be 225 R17 65. I don't know what size tires to buy. Why would there be such a discrepancy?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 michaelGen5

michaelGen5

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationMidland
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Dodge Grand Caravan CVP Bright White

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

This can be confusing, but here goes:

R16 refers to 16 inch Tire, but some options, like the High End Crew had 17 inch wheels (17R Tires) as early as 2011 model year. That's not to say that Chrysler didn't make a mistake, or use up some leftover 16 inch wheels though, so we have to be absolutely sure what tire is on the van now. The only way to be sure is to look at the numbers on the tire side wall. If there is an R17 in the designation, then you have 17 inch, if R16 then you have 16 inch. 

Chrysler used a generic Tire Size Label for the 2008 to 2011 Base Model, which came with 16 inch tires, even the commercial versions, and as the label is applied early in the production process, they continued to use the same door post label for the Dressier Vans like yours. Advertising literature, as you state, shows the High End 2011 Crew as having 17 inch wheels. There must however be a second label, somewhere, usually on the inside of the glove box lid showing the true Tire Size and designation if the van has 17 inch tires. This label is a safety requirement.

But there is no need to worry, the two tire sizes are equal in load capacity and safety, but are just not interchangeable, because each is a different wheel size.

What tire should be on your van? The absolute best way to be sure that Chrysler didn't slip up is to look at the tire designation of the tire that is on there now. 

Your tire shop could really be a bunch more helpful. I think I'd go to one that knows about Customer Service, as well as a lot more about tires. They should be well aware of everything I've indicated here, and more, although the fact that 17 inch were optional on earlier models, and then became standard part way through the 2012 model year must have them confused.

Edited 2018 04 05 For Clarification Re: Crew Model, 2012 Wheel switch over & clarification

Edited by michaelGen5, 06 April 2018 - 11:18 AM.

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·