Custom Search

Welcome to Dodge Caravan Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Dodge Caravan Forum, like most online communities you must register to create a topic or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Dodge Caravan Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2016 Dodge Caravan Crew model

advise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tvp

Tvp

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationMarkham
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Dodge Caravan Crew

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:01 PM

So we are going to pick up our new 2016 Dodge Caravan Crew, should we get rustproofing ...? Going to keep it for 7 years
So ant tips to start off right would be great, also anything we should look out for ??? Our first Dodge minivan !!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 LOVEDODGE

LOVEDODGE

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Dodge

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

It can't hurt, how much do they want to do it?

#3 Nuevomexicano

Nuevomexicano

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Current Vehicle:89 Caravan

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

Sort of depends on what part of the country you live in.

#4 LOVEDODGE

LOVEDODGE

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Dodge

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

where do you live?

#5 michaelGen5

michaelGen5

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationMidland
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Dodge Grand Caravan CVP Bright White

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:09 PM

Absolutely, No Question About It, the best after-market product you can apply to your vehicle. I presently am using Krown, I find they are more consistent than Rust Check, but I have used both and they both are good, and you do get slightly different variations between dealers. I used to do my own, you can buy the same product at an auto parts store, but with my 2015 I started with Krown from Day 1. I am very pleased with the way it creeps into all the hidden body seams etc.(the areas that typically start to rust). They have special tools also that reach far into crevices I could not do myself.

I have put my treated vehicles side by side with identical models that weren't oil sprayed, after 12 and 18 years of oil spraying them, and you wouldn't believe they started out as the same vehicle. The product is that effective.

One thing I would absolutely avoid is Dealer undercoat, it does more harm than good, in spite of all the hype that the Business Manager at the dealership gives you - It is typically poorly applied, completely the wrong product for the job and does more to trap moisture than keep it out. Also they do not have the professional tools to reach the important areas or the required training, to say nothing of the exorbitant cost they charge.

As an Ontario resident, with our salted roads this should be a priority. Also a history of yearly rust treatment can be a real bargaining tool when selling or trading especially as you plan to keep your van for 7 years. An untreated vehicle typically starts to show body rust after 8 years, and body integrity and safety are seriously degraded by then.

If you want great floor protection, I recommend WeatherTech floor liners. I rate 12 stars out of 10, they are that good. I fought for 3 winters trying to protect my black floor carpeting from salt and sand, ended up with bits of carpet that were not effective, and also dangerous because they could interfere with the accelerator pedal return - not good!

WeatherTech are reasonably priced, and formed exactly to the floor shape. Nothing can get by these liners, and they funnel any liquids out and over the door sill. They are the first floor mat of any type also that I have found that stays in place. It uses the OEM floor positioners.

WeatherTech are available through all major auto parts suppliers and they have a good web site.

You probably have found out by now, that these vans need a good winter windshield wiper.

I have had outstanding results, in snow country, with Bosch "Icon" wiper blades, from an auto parts supplier which were the recommended model for my 2015. I now have 4 complete winters of ice and snow on them and still no streaks.

If I had to find one fault with this van, it's the wiper ditch that traps ice and snow all winter, and has to be constantly cleared out. I am parking outside, with a garage a lot of this problem would solve itself, in part.

Edited: Added Bosch Icon Wiper Model

Edited by michaelGen5, 11 April 2018 - 09:06 PM.

#6 Jack99

Jack99

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNorth of America
  • Current Vehicle:2017 DGC SXT

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:41 PM

Do remember....  Only person to benefit yearly rust proofing treatment is the long term owner.

If you replace your vehicles every 3-4 years, don't bother wasting  your  dollars on short term rust proofing hassle (and cost). 

For me, I keep my vehicles 8+ years (or until they are too costly to keep on the road).   Due to long term ownership, I get rust proofing treatment on all my vehicles.   Not Krown or Rust Check.  I get my local garage to do it each fall (before the snow / ice lands) - with their "black magic" pasty stuff  at 1/2 the cost of Krown.  

This works for me...

Edited by Jack99, 28 June 2018 - 08:41 PM.

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·