Custom Search

Welcome to Dodge Caravan Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Dodge Caravan Forum, like most online communities you must register to create a topic or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Dodge Caravan Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best after market roof rack for 2016?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 milemaker13

milemaker13

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2016 dodge caravan SE plus

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

Hey gang. Want to add after market roof rack. Looking at yakima or thule. The Clips for yakima grab around the rubber door moulding, causing leaks i would think. Thule said theirs does not grab the rubber seal.
Does anyone have experience with these or other aftermarket racks? My intention is to carry a canoe atop the van. Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 NoShade

NoShade

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Grand Caravan SE

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:00 AM

I want to point out that these aftermarket racks (I have Yakima "Q" towers but I assume Thule would be the same) are fairly easy to remove. I take my rack off after every use because I have round bars and they are noisy. I use it about once a month and have done it so many times it's just part of the routine of taking my surfboard, paddleboards, canoes, and/or spacecase out.

I've been doing this with my sedan. I just bought a 2013 GC this evening and plan to get the Q clips for it so I'll post again when I have results on that.

I specifically sought GC that did not have one of Chrysler's stowaway OEM roof racks because I need a double-wide crossbars for hauling a spacecase and a canoe together, etc. I know this is possible on a GC because I've seen pictures posted by a rack retailer. I'll find a link. I believe it was for Thule.

#3 NoShade

NoShade

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:11 AM

It's on eTrailer's site. If you google "Caravan Thule rack" and then switch results to Images it's the first hit. There's a VIDEO of it being installed on a white 2012.

It's a Thule and yes it does look like it's pinching the rubber seal to me.

When I put mine on I'll spray it with a hose and let you know on the leak results. I suspect it will be negligible based on my experience with other racks/vehicles.

Oh by the way, if you do plan on leaving your rack on all the time then newer aero bars are worth considering paying extra for. Again, my round bars are very noisy when nothing is on them.

#4 NoShade

NoShade

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:11 PM

I received Q clips for my 2013 Caravan and installed my Yakima rack this weekend. The hold seems solid enough - I'll be hauling two canoes up there (I've done this many times using the same rack on other cars). The clips do grab the rubber moulding - it looks impossible not to. (I do not believe what Thule told you.)

Not worried about leaking as I'm not storing the rack on the vehicle. I don't understanding why anyone would - they all pop off easily and offer a much quieter ride that way. My rack stays in the garage next to my canoes, kayaks, SUPs, surfboards, and space case. I guess if you used the bicycle attachments those would be a pain to remove from your roof but for just bare bars it's so easy to pop on and off.

#5 Orracle121

Orracle121

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationGeorgia
  • Current Vehicle:2015 SXT

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

Can you post some pics of your set up?

#6 trep53

trep53

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Dodge Caravan SE Blacktop

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

I have the Yakima Q towers and round bars on my '15 Gand Caravan and have not noticed it leaking, but they are noisy. I don't think the aero bars will work with the Q towers that I have so I bought the wind deflector and it does quiet it down. I haul a canoe around most of the time and lumber a few times. I really wish I had the factory rack but it wasn't meant to be at the time of purchase.

#7 SHARONE

SHARONE

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationus
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

I am also interested in a roof rack

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·