Custom Search

Welcome to Dodge Caravan Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Dodge Caravan Forum, like most online communities you must register to create a topic or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Dodge Caravan Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2003 Power Steering Recall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DTMAce

DTMAce

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMI, EUP

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

Not sure what all years the recall applies to, but when my dealer pulled the VIN and info on the vehicle it was noted there was a recall for the power steering return line that was not performed. Essentially they replaced the rubber hose line that goes between the reservoir and the steel line leading from the rack. From the information I read about it, the inside diameter of the return line's rubber hose was too small. This caused the pump to make noise at times do to insufficient fluid flow. OK.

However after having this recall performed (it was a free service) I still have the occasional power steering pump whine or groan. From what I have read and some mechanics I have talked to, the design of the reservoir on this year (and probably similar years) has a filter that clogs up, not to mention if you keep the fluid level were it is indicated on the tank, it seems this will still allow it to cause noise. Having the tank filled up near the neck seems to cure the problem, but then it tends to burp some out at times, causing a mess.

I plan to actually pull the reservoir from the engine, thoroughly clean it, change all the fluid and reinstall to see if THAT will cure the issue. Will update here once its done, which may be awhile, as I plan to do several things at that time. If anyone else has certain solvable suggestions for this problem, by all means correct or add to what I have said here.

Thanks.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 steak

steak

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:18 AM

Ur mechanic is right, that model Caravan does have problem with the Bottle. The bottle is pretty cheap, i say just replace the bottle.
However, on that specific Caravan, after air gets trap in the P/S system, it could take you 2 weeks of driving to get all the air out, so don't be too concern if it still whine and moan for few days.

#3 DTMAce

DTMAce

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMI, EUP

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:47 AM

Actually the more I have worked with this annoying thing the more I understand. Bottom line problem of the reservoir is insufficient return to the pump! Its perfectly fine maybe most of the time, but let that fluid get cold or even a bit low and wow. It whines like a pig in heat. It really needs a bigger line going to the pump so that it can get plenty of fluid. Not to mention that the design on the tank is so crappy, I mean whats with the upside down plastic bowl with a gasket against the metal plate? Slightest increase in pressure into this "bowl" and it just pushes up away from the plate and instant mess all over your engine to burn off. Someone seriously dropped the ball on the design.

Anyway, I have yet to have time to properly yank it out and redo it, so have been dealing. Anyways. Thanks for the point out, though 2 weeks is not enough to fix my issue with this particular one. I just need a better setup, or replace everything or something.

#4 jokerje

jokerje

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

Has anyone else had this done? I haven't taken mine in yet to have it done or done it myself yet. Going to look at it soon. Mine is just like a moan when you turn. like on street ans such. not at highway speeds

#5 DTMAce

DTMAce

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMI, EUP

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:46 AM

Recall didn't really fix it much. The main issue is the shitty reservoir... Problem is, they have a screen in the tank, it captures debris, gets clogged up then the fluid can't get from the tank to the pump fast enough, so it whines. One solution is to fill it clear to the neck. Problem with that is, any manual turning of the steering (without the engine running the pump) causes fluid to back up out of the tank onto the engine. Big pain in the ass. The proper way to fix I think is to pull the tank, clean it out and refill.

#6 jokerje

jokerje

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:54 AM

I saw a mention of replacing with a larger tank...what size do you think would work? Any idea's of a source or a donor? Maybe take a trip and pull one from a junk yard donor?

#7 DTMAce

DTMAce

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMI, EUP

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:23 PM

Anything is possible. Right now its not annoying me, so I'm not messing with it... LOL

#8 jokerje

jokerje

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

I hear a moan from my steering sometimes...I haven't done anything about mine yet either...

#9 Steffy_g22

Steffy_g22

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPahoa, HI
  • Current Vehicle:2003 Dodge Grand Caravan

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:30 AM

Has anyone else had this done? I haven't taken mine in yet to have it done or done it myself yet. Going to look at it soon. Mine is just like a moan when you turn. like on street ans such. not at highway speeds

#10 Steffy_g22

Steffy_g22

New Caravan Member

• Caravan Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPahoa, HI
  • Current Vehicle:2003 Dodge Grand Caravan

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:31 AM

Mine just started. Will I loose the power steering eventually if I don't fix it?

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·